Why Work With a Social Security Disability Lawyer or Advocate?
A disability attorney or advocate in Indianapolis can help you in a variety of ways. They will:
- Assisting you with navigating the system. There are many rules you have to follow when applying for disability benefits. Your advocate will explain the process to you and make it clear what course of action you should take.
- Ensuring your application is filled out right. Many people get denied benefits because they turn in incomplete applications, or they make mistakes on their applications. A disability lawyer or advocate will go through every form and make sure it is completed properly.
- Collecting proof. You’re going to need proof of your condition; the SSA won’t just take your word for it that you’re experiencing health issues severe enough to prevent working. The proof varies depending on your specific condition. Your disability advocate will figure out what proof you need and gather it for you. This could include medical test results, a list of your prescriptions, your doctors’ records and statements from friends and co-workers who know you and are familiar with your condition.
- Appealing a denial. If you’ve been denied benefits, your disability advocate will help you file an appeal, prepare you to testify at a hearing, present your arguments and evidence to the judge and cross-examine medical or vocational experts who testify about you.
- Receiving personal attention and care. A disability advocate or lawyer will get to know you and your needs, and make sure you’re treated with respect and not lost in the system during this difficult process.
When you may feel shut out of the system, or like you’re down on your luck, a disability advocate will be in your corner and fight for you every step of the way.