Indianapolis woman in need of disability benefits

Do You Need Financial Help?

Social Security Disability benefits give you financial relief so you can worry less about working and focus on your own health and well-being when you’re struggling with debilitating pain.

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)—also called complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)—often starts with pain from an injury or surgery. Then it keeps going after the pain should have faded.

If it’s so bad that you can’t work, you could qualify for disability benefits, which include monthly checks to help with basic expenses and bring stability to your life.

But applying for disability with a pain disorder is complicated. You can’t win benefits just by saying you have pain. You have to show medical evidence of your condition.

People with all kinds of medical conditions are routinely denied for benefits.

But you’re not helpless.

The disability advocates at Hanley Disability know how to approach an RSD or CRPS case. We’ve helped thousands of people in Indiana.

We’ve been helping people in Indianapolis, Danville, Franklin, Lebanon, Noblesville and across Central Indiana for more than 45 years.

Social Security Disability Is All We Do.

Contact Us Today!

Once you’re denied benefits, the clock starts ticking. Don’t wait too long. You might miss the deadline to appeal.

Two Hanley Disability attorneys

How to Qualify for Social Security Disability with RSD, or CRPS, in Indianapolis

The Social Security Administration says it evaluates cases of reflex sympathetic dystrophy or chronic regional pain syndrome by looking for these symptoms:

  • Pain that’s worse than the original injury or event that caused the pain
  • Swelling
  • Involuntary movement
  • Osteoporosis (bone loss)
  • Skin conditions such as changes in color, texture, sweating and temperature, including goose bumps
  • Abnormal hair and nail growth

For your disability claim, you’ll need to provide documentation of these conditions.

Your documentation could include medical records showing you’ve been receiving ongoing treatment for your pain, how you’ve responded to that treatment, and how long your case of RSD or CRPS has lasted or is likely to last.

The essential qualifications for disability benefits are that you cannot work at all—and your health problems will last at least a year, or for a lifetime.

Hanley Disability advocates know how to gather the evidence you need and file everything the right way with Social Security.

It’s free to start a conversation with us about your case.

Get a Free Claim Consultation
Indianapolis man needs help filing Social Security Disability application

How Does Social Security Decide You Can’t Work Because of RSD or CRPS?

Whether Social Security thinks your pain and other symptoms from RSD/CRPS are severe enough that you can’t work—or whether you could manage your condition and keep working—will decide if you win disability benefits or not.

The key to your claim is how much daily activity and how many tasks you can manage considering your particular symptoms.

Social Security evaluates this in a measure it calls “residual functional capacity,” or RFC.

Residual functional capacity includes these considerations:

  • If the effects of your condition are so limiting to your daily activities that your case could be called severe
  • Whether your severe case of RSD/CRPS matches Social Security’s standards for an equivalent qualifying condition (RSD on its own isn’t listed as a qualifying impairment.)
  • How your pain affects your ability to sustain physical and mental work in a work setting on a regular basis
  • Statements from doctors and other medical providers, family, friends, neighbors and anyone else who knows you
  • Your own journal, diary or notes describing how your impairment has affected you over time

It’s a lot of information to gather, but instead of trying to manage your RSD or CRPS and trying to manage a complicated Social Security Disability application at the same time, make this process easier for yourself by talking to the disability advocates at Hanley.

We can take on the legwork for you. We want to help you move from serious health problems causing chaos in your life to a greater sense of peace and security.

You pay no fee for your advocate until you win benefits.

Call Us Now!

Elderly people happy after getting help and winning their disability cases
Skip to content